Actions

City of Fremantle and Town of East Fremantle Street Names Index

For a summary of the up-to-date information, see the Streets page. The text of this page is kept matching the above source document (with only the addition of links and the Wikidata column).

Place names

Place Name Wikidata Suburb Named After See Also Notes
Adcock Way Q98350193 Fremantle Frank Henry Burton Adcock ( - 1915) and Fredrick Brenchley Adcock ( - 1915) The Adcock brothers lived on Solomon Street, Fremantle. They were both privates in the 11th Battalion of the AIF during WWI. Frank and Frederick were both killed in action at the landing at Gallipoli on the 25th of April 1915, aged 21 and 24 years.
Adelaide Street Q4681786 Fremantle Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort of King William IV (1830- 1837). Appears in the survey of 1833.
Agnes Street Q120997793 Fremantle
Wray Avenue Q56827415 Fremantle Lawrence Alexander Wray Avenue and Hampton Street Alexander was Mayor of the Municipality of Fremantle, 1901-02.

Originally Hampton Street until 1901-02, then named Alexander Road, and renamed Wray Avenue in 1923 after W.E. Wray.

Alma Street Q113448920 Fremantle The Battle of Alma (1854, Crimean War) Name appears after 1855; the Convict Establishment settled with guards who would have served during the Crimean War.
Ameling Rise Q119806747 Fremantle Anne Hilda Ameling Ameling was the owner of the whole parcel of land before subdivision. This name is supported by the affected land owners.
Anglesea Point Fremantle Marquis of Anglesea (ship) The Marquis of Anglesea was wrecked on that spot in 1829.
Antrim Lane Q119149968 Fremantle County Antrim, Ireland Antrim is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Arthur Head Q16834049 Fremantle Sir George Arthur, 1st Baronet (1784 – 1854) The name was chosen by Captain James Stirling during his 1827 expedition. Arthur was the 4th Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) and had shown Stirling’s party much hospitality in Hobart.

Also known as Arthur’s Head.

Arundel Street Q119863252 Fremantle Arundel (UK Parliament constituency) Edward George Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop was MP for Arundel in England from 1852 to 1868.

Howard Street runs parallel to Arundel Street, thus making the connection.

Ashburton Terrace Q119863281 Fremantle Ashburton, Western Australia Harry James William Higham was the original owner of this property. He settled in the Ashburton district with his wife and children.
Attfield Lane Q120997825 Fremantle Parmelia Street Changed to Parmelia Street 1935/6.
Aurora Avenue Fremantle Street name disappears after 1948.
Austral Avenue Fremantle Aurora Avenue, Island Street, Ocean Street Street name disappears after 1948.
Bannister Street Q29027032 Fremantle Captain Thomas Bannister (1799 – 1874) Captain Bannister was one of the first pioneers to be assigned a lot of land in Fremantle. He later undertook the exploration of the country between Perth and Albany and was for a time Resident Magistrate at Fremantle.
Barnett Street Q56447174 Fremantle Henry Calvert Barnett (1832 – 1897) Barnett succeeded Dr Dickey as Superintendent of Fremantle Asylum in 1872. He was Colonial Surgeon until 1895 when the office was abolished. He worked chiefly in Fremantle. His articles on “Australiana" earned him a Fellowship of the Royal Geographic Society.

Barnett was a member of the first Medical Board in 1894. He resided in Quarry Street near Shuffrey.

Bateman Street Q111360870 Fremantle The Bateman Family The Batemans arrived in 1830. John Bateman was the first Postmaster of Fremantle.
Bathers Beach Q4869003 Fremantle Also known as Whalers’ Beach. It was known as City Beach in 1945.
Bathers Bay Q21951080 Fremantle Shown on Fremantle maps from 1829 onwards.
Elder Place Q28428535 Fremantle Elder Place
Beach Street Q28428531 Fremantle Descriptive name as the street runs parallel with the shore of the river.
Bellevue Terrace Q120067255 Fremantle
Blinco Street Q120495516 Fremantle Henry Blinco (1832 – 1907) Blinco was the first Principal Warder at Fremantle Prison, between 1892 and 1897. Previously named Moore Street; changed in 1909-10.
Bolton Place Q120884902 Fremantle Isaac Bolton ( - 1912) Bolton founded the coach building company Bolton & Sons in Fremantle in 1888.
Brennan Street Q120884947 Fremantle John Charles Brennan Brennan was a Town Councillor for two periods – 1909 - 1911 and 1913 - 1927. Formerly known as Cemetery Road because the old Alma Street Cemetery lay to the east. Name changed to Brennan Street in 1924/25.
Burt Street Q28428513 Fremantle Sir Archibald Paull Burt QC (1810 – 1879) Burt was the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Western Australia, 1861 - 1879.

The eastern end of Burt Street, from East Street, was previously called Finnerty Street.

By-The-Sea-Road Q112869285 Fremantle Jenkin Street Changed to Jenkin Street in 1909/1910.
Cantonment Street Q61911749 Fremantle Cantonment – a military or police headquarters. Victoria Road and Queen Victoria Street A detachment of the 63rd Regiment was stationed in Fremantle during the early days of the colony. The exact location of the cantonment is unknown. Cantonment Road was later named Queen Victoria Street; it ran from the bridge into the township proper. It was a continuation of Cantonment Street to Cantonment Hill. Changed to Victoria Road 1903/4 and again in 1914/15 to Queen Victoria Street.
Captains Lane Q116980206 Fremantle Captain Albert Ernest Trivett Trivett was Harbour Master at Fremantle from 1945 until 1953.
Carnac Street Q61911580 Fremantle Carnac Island This street is on an elevation from which Carnac Island can be seen. Carnac Island was named after Lt John Ruett Carnac of H.M. Frigate Success.
Carnac Way Q121022748 Fremantle Carnac Island Earliest listing in the WA Post Office Directory for 1900. South Lane in 1951/52. Named Carnac Way in 2007; previously Carnac Lane.
Carob Court Fremantle Carob tree Exotic tree species identified and preserved on the site. Approval 1993.
Brennan Street Q120884947 Fremantle Brennan Street Renamed Brennan Street in 1923.
Challenger Harbour Q5068953 Fremantle Challenger (ship) The Challenger was the ship that Captain Fremantle arrived on in May 1829.
Chalmers Street Q120997888 Fremantle James Chalmers Chalmers was a Town Councillor for two periods, 1930-33 and 1935-1942. He established Fremantle Foundry and Engineering Co. Previously named Edmund Street North; changed in 1948.
Church Street Q121101101 Fremantle Stevens Street (changed to Stevens Street). Named because it was bounded by the old Alma Street Cemetery which was vested in the Church of England. Formerly named Church Street; changed to Stephen Street 1930/31.
Cliff Street Q28220358 Fremantle This street was built beside the face of Arthur Head cliff, which was afterwards much broken down by convict labour.
Collie Street Q28382503 Fremantle Dr. Alexander Collie (1793 – 1835) Collie was a Royal Navy Surgeon and early settler in Western Australia.
Crab Tree Mews Fremantle Crab-apple tree Name derived from type of exotic tree species identified and preserved on the site.
Crandon Street Q121001643 Fremantle
Croke Lane Q119127925 Fremantle Lieutenant Captain James Nias Croke Croke was appointed Harbour Master at Fremantle in 1868. Originally called Dalgety Street. The warehouse of Dalgety & Co was at one time situated there. Owing to confusion with Dalgety Street East Fremantle (a
Croke Street Q65050107 Fremantle Lieutenant Captain James Nias Croke Named circa 1873.
Customs Place Q121023215 Fremantle Old Customs House, Phillimore Street Named circa 1908.
Dalgety Street Q119127925 Fremantle William Dalgety Moore (1835 – 1910) Croke Lane
Dorothy Street Q109119354 Fremantle
Douglas Street Q121020746 Fremantle
East Street Q28428524 Fremantle Original eastern boundary of the town site.
Edmund Street South Q66817615 Fremantle
Edmund Street North Q66817615 Fremantle Chalmers Street
Edward Street Q63639748 Fremantle Sir William Edward Parry (1790 – 1855) Parry Street Parry was a naval officer and explorer. Known as Parry Street from 1986.
Elder Place Q28428535 Fremantle Elder, Smith & Co. Elder, Smith & Co.’s offices were located on this street. Originally named Bay Street.
Ellen Street Q5365025 Fremantle Ellen Mangles (1807 – 1874) Mangles was the wife of Governor Sir James Stirling.
Henville Street Fremantle Henville Street
Emma Place Fremantle Emma (ship) There were two significant ships named Emma; it is uncertain which one the Place is named for. In the 1840s, a 25-ton cutter owned by Captain John Thomas; built locally, it was used in to trade with Singapore. In the 1850s, a schooner owned by Walter Padbury – this vessel could complete the journey from Fremantle to Port Walcott in nineteen days, whereas other vessels took thirty days.
Essex Street Q62029350 Fremantle County Essex, England
Essex Lane Q121002831 Fremantle County Essex, England
Euphrasie Court Q121023531 Fremantle Adele Euphrasie Barbier (1829 – 1893) Tuckfield Street French-born Barbier was the founder of the Roman Catholic Congregation of Our Lady of the Missions (they established a school on this
Fairbairn Street Q56384410 Fremantle Robert Fairbairn (1841 – 1922) Fairbairn was Resident Magistrate at Fremantle from 1886 to 1908. Also called ‘the Tramway’ as a line ran via Henderson Street to Marine Terrace and the Commissariat.
Farrier Lane Q122272573 Fremantle Hope Street, Watkins Street This name was considered appropriate because of the number of stables, and a farrier, that have been historically located there.
Finnerty Street Q113300589 Fremantle Colonel Charles Finnerty (1815 – 1881) Finnerty was Colonel of the 47th Regiment. In 1861 he became Staff Officer of the Pensioner Guards Fremantle. In 1862, Finnerty was made Commanding Officer of Volunteer Fremantle. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1871-1872 and then Colonel in 1874.
Fitzgerald Terrace Q6764233 Fremantle Marine Terrace
Fleet Street Q66759002 Fremantle
Florence Street Q121029427 Fremantle King William Street
Forrest Street Q121029438 Fremantle Sir John Forrest (1847 – 1918) Sir John Forrest was an explorer and the first Premier of Western Australia, 1890 to 1901.
Fothergill Street Q117336691 Fremantle E.H. Fothergill ( - 1896) Fothergill was a seaman turned hotelier who became Mayor of Fremantle, 1909-1910.

Originally known as John Street, changed 1922/23.

Girton Lane Q121029472 Fremantle Girton College High Street, Ellen Street Adjoins the old Girton College campus.
Goldsbrough Street Q113697907 Fremantle Goldsborough Mort (property owners)
Government Road Fremantle Hines Road, York Street, Clarke Street
Grey Street Q121020777 Fremantle Henry George Grey, 3rd Earl Grey (1802 – 1894) Grey was Secretary of State for the Colonies 1846–1852 under Prime Minister Lord John Russell.
Griffiths Place Fremantle W.P. Griffiths Griffiths was a Town Councillor, 1931-1945 and 1948-68.
Habgood Street Fremantle Habgood Family William and Robert Habgood were early pioneers of the district and land holders in East Fremantle. They were probably associated with the firm of R. B. Habgood & Co.
Hallion Way Fremantle Wellesley Way
Hampton Hill Swamp Fremantle
Hampton Street Fremantle Wray Avenue and Wray Avenue Originally Hampton Street until 1901-1902, then named Alexander Road. Renamed Wray Avenue in 1923.
Henderson Street Q92489177 Fremantle Sir Edmund Yeamans Walcott Henderson (1821 – 1896) Henderson was the first comptroller of convicts in Western Australia; he arrived at Fremantle June 1850 aboard the first convict ship, the Scindian. Henderson was responsible for the construction of Fremantle Prison and the warders quarters in the street that bears his name.
Henderson Street Mall Fremantle
Henry Street Q16342680 Fremantle John Henry Henry was the second lieutenant of the H.M.S. Challenger under Captain C.H. Fremantle for its 1829 voyage. He explored the Canning River.
Henville Street Q113495102 Fremantle Sampson Henville Henville was a Town Councillor 1907-1910. Originally named Ellington Street, changed 1909/10.
High Street Q5757160 Fremantle Named by Surveyor General Roe in the tradition of the main streets of English towns. Following the completion of the Town Hall in 1887 the roadway was constructed east of William Street by convict labour. Prior to that the street was practically only a beaten track leading to Briggs' Boys School, erected in 1885. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966.
High Street Arcade Fremantle
High Street Mall Fremantle Trialled in 1973, made permanent in 1975.
Holdsworth Street Q107237617 Fremantle Lionel Holdsworth (1826 – 1901) Holdsworth Street Holdsworth was a convict who arrived in W.A. on the Hougoumont in 1868. He became a clerk, accountant, and property owner.

Originally named Doonan Street; changed in 1901.

Holland Street Q121029572 Fremantle Henry Holland, 1st Viscount Knutsford (1825 – 1914) Holland was Secretary of State for the Colonies between 1887 and 1892.
Horrie Long Reserve Q73005207 Fremantle Horrie Long Long was a Town Councillor, 1948 – 1974. Formerly known as Holland Street Reserve, the name was changed in 1974.
Howard Street Q121020798 Fremantle Lord Edward Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop (1818 – 1883) Howard was a British Liberal politician. Streets in this locality run as follows from centre of city - Norfolk, Suffolk, Arundel, Howard, Russell, Grey, Lord (now Price). Lords Grey, Howard, and Russell were politicians

during the administration of UK Prime Minister Lord John Russell.

Hudson Mews Q121022238 Fremantle Charles Hudson (1865 - ) Hudson purchased this land in 1898. He was a member of the Fremantle Harbour Trust.
James Street Q17846269 Fremantle Admiral Sir James Stirling (1791 – 1865) Hickory Street Stirling was the first Governor of Western Australia.

Changed to Hickory Street 1901/02. But for the intervention of Fremantle Park, this street would join Stirling Street, as originally intended.

Josephson Street Q120486110 Fremantle Abraham Moise Josephson (1830 – 1904) Josephson was a convict transported to W.A. on the Lord Dalhousie in 1863. He became a successful merchant and property owner in Fremantle. He owned the Park Hotel and was involved in the building of the Fremantle Synagogue.
Kellow Place Q121029591 Fremantle Kellow Family Joe Kellow, a Cornish miner, came to Fremantle in 1892. His children stayed in Fremantle after he left in 1903. The Kellows owned property in South Terrace. Name suggested by Dennis Sowden. The Sowden family have taken an active part in the civic and business affairs of the Fremantle community.
Kings Square Q6413021 Fremantle George IV of the United Kingdom (1762 – 1830) Kings Square was renamed St. Johns Square in December 1986. The apostrophe was deleted to bring the name in line with adopted international standards. The name was changed back to Kings Square in 1991.
Knutsford Street Q117328129 Fremantle Knutsford, England Hill Street Knutsford was the birthplace of Henry Holland, 1st Viscount Knutsford. Originally named Hill Street, changed 1951/52.
Leake Street Q29027030 Fremantle George Leake (1786 – 1849) Leake was a wealthy landowner in the Swan River Colony and a store keeper in Fremantle. He was the first resident Magistrate of Fremantle in 1839. Leake is the uncle of Sir Luke Leake and George Walpole Leake.
Lewington Street Q121029624 Fremantle Lewington Family The Lewington family were early settlers. William Lewington (1802–1869) arrived in Western Australia 06.10.1829 aboard the Lotus.
Limerick Way Fremantle County Limerick, Ireland Limerick is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Little High Street Q111728766 Fremantle Named in 1988.
Little Howard Street Q113859723 Fremantle Howard Street
Loukes Street Q122940436 Fremantle Frederick Scott Loukes ( - 1919) Loukes Street Loukes was a Councillor, 1902-1910. Loukes owned and occupied a five-roomed dwelling in the street from 1895–1919. His wife Evelyn remained as occupier until her death in 1936. Originally known as Percy Street, changed between 1907 and 1910.
McAtee Court Fremantle McAtee Family The McAtee family were early settlers. John K. McAtee immigrated to Western Australia on the Clara in 1853. His son, Wesley (Frederick) took up land at Fremantle and, with the help of a friend, built his house which still stands in South Terrace. Another son, William, was employed for many years by the Council, building roads and such.
Malcolm Street Q121023845 Fremantle Sir Malcolm Fraser (1834 – 1900) Fraser was Surveyor-General for Western Australia between 1872 and 1883 and Agent- General for W.A. between 1892 and 1898.
Manning Street Q121020743 Fremantle Charles Alexander Manning (1807

- 1869)

Charles Alexander Manning was a wealthy landowner in Fremantle. He was the town's first rate-collector and record keeper as chairman of the Town Trust from 1859 to 1867. He built Manning's Folly on the corner of Pakenham and Short Streets; it had a private observatory on the roof and was demolished in 1928. Manning also built 'Davilak' on a large tract of land (700 acres) he held south of Fremantle.
Marine Terrace Q6764233 Fremantle Marine Terrace derives its name from its situation on the waterfront. Before the railway to Robb Jetty was laid down it followed the line of the beach and was protected by a high stone sea wall which extended almost to Essex Street. From there, a row of piles resisted the encroachments of the sea on the road, which from that street to South Street was named Fitzgerald Terrace after Captain Fitzgerald R.N., Governor of Western Australia (1848 – 1855).

The continuation to Douro Road is shown on a survey of 1844 as being in the suburban area, South Street representing the southern boundary of the Town. It was named Wellington Terrace after the Great Duke. It was along this road that the camels were driven after disembarkation at the old long jetty. A quarantine station for camels arriving by sea was established in 1896 and, before departing for the Goldfields, the keepers used to camp with their animals at South Beach. All the local children took great delight in going there after school and incensing the Afghans by calling out 'ooshta', which was the signal for the camels to kneel, whatever they might be doing at the moment. Changed from Wellington Terrace to Marine Terrace in 1979.

Market Street Q6770741 Fremantle In J.S. Roe's earliest survey this street is shown with a market place at the present railway station end. No market apparently eventuated.
Mary Lilly Walk Fremantle Mary Lilly Lilly was the wife of Captain James Lilly. He built Lilley's Building (this is prominently displayed on the building's façade, note, correct spelling is without an 'e').
Mary Street Fremantle Solomon Street Changed to Solomon Street 1951-1953.
Mayhew Street Fremantle Named circa 1909.
Molfetta Quay Fremantle Molfetta, Italy Honours Fremantle's Sister City, Molfetta, Italy. Many members of the Italian community in Fremantle trace their origins to this city.
Mouat Street Q15252423 Fremantle Lieutenant John Alexander Mouat (1793 – 1866) Mouat was the First Lieutenant on board the

HMS Challenger.

Nairn Street Q57991369 Fremantle Major William Nairn (1767 – 1853) Nairne was a major in the 46th Regiment (UK). He was the original grantee of the land known as Grass Valley, east of Northam.
Naomi Lane Fremantle
Newman Court Q113560463 Fremantle Edward Newman (1832 – 1872) Newman arrived in Western Australia in 1851 under the auspices of Gibson, Murray, Dyett & Co. He later joined Cornish & Paterson, and was Manager of merger firm T & H Carter & Co. Between 1866 and 1867 he was on the Fremantle Town Trust. Newman was a member for Fremantle in the first elective Parliament (1870 - 1872). He was on the Fremantle Municipal Council in 1872.
Newspaper Lane Fremantle This road services W.A. Newspapers site, parallel to and between High and Holland Streets.
Norfolk Lane Fremantle Norfolk, England
Norfolk Street Q28428555 Fremantle Norfolk, England
Norman Street Fremantle Harry Norman Higham Higham was one of the owners of the land in 1917. Name first appears in 1920.
Onslow Street Q121028148 Fremantle Sir Alexander Campbell Onslow (1842 – 1908) Onslow was the third Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Western Australia from 1883 to 1901 (his retirement).
Ord Street Q17846349 Fremantle Major-General Sir Harry St. George Ord (1819 – 1885) Hampton Road Ord was Governor of Western Australia from 1877 to 1880. Ord turned the first sod of the Fremantle to Guildford Railway in 1879 or 1880. The portion of this road between Knutsford Street (formerly Hill Street) and Ellen Street (formerly John Street) was formerly Hampton Road.
Paddy Troy Mall Q121093581 Fremantle Patrick “Paddy” Laurence Troy (1908 – 1978) Paddy Troy Mall Troy was a long-serving Secretary of the W.A. Branch of the Coastal Docks, Rivers & Harbour Workers' and Shipwrights' Unions, and the Maritime Workers' Union until his retirement in 1973. Changed from Shoppers Street in 1984.
Pakenham Street Q28220381 Fremantle Lieutenant H. Pakenham Pakenham was the Third Lieutenant on HMS Challenger.
Parry Street Q7139898 Fremantle Sir W. Edward Parry (1790 – 1855) Parry entered the Navy in 1803 and served during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1821 he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society and received a knighthood in April 1829. He arrived in Sydney in 1829; as a religious man he started schools for children and performed baptisms.

He returned to England in 1834.

Loukes Street Fremantle Loukes Street
Peter Hughes Drive Q57970768 Fremantle Peter Hughes Hughes was a long standing and respected member of Fremantle Ports for over fifty years. He retired in 2004.
Phillimore Street Q28382505 Fremantle Sir John Phillimore (1781 – 1840) Phillimore served during the Peninsular War in the Royal Navy.
Pioneer Reserve Fremantle Previously known as Uglieland; the name was changed in 1940.
Platt Street Fremantle Fictitious character mentioned in Jack Bennett’s book Gallipoli, published in 1981.
Point Place Fremantle
Point Street Q66815827 Fremantle Point Street led to Ferry Point, colloquially known as Willis' Point; from the south-easterly direction there was a track leading down Market Street. The present railway station is built on the base of the point, which is shown on early maps as a comparatively broad piece of land. At the Market Street end there was a water-hole and swamp, slightly further north a salt lagoon, dry in the summer. The original ferry crossed the river from the point to Lukin's Jetty. The North Wharf has since been built on the site.
Price Street Q112700905 Fremantle James Price ( - 1910) Lord Street Price was a MLA for Fremantle between 1905 and 1910. He was Minister for Works from 1906 to 1909. The street was originally named Lord Street; changed in 1908/09.
Princess May Park Fremantle Princess May School Park named in 1976.
Quarry Street Q92650466 Fremantle A quarry that extended in the early days of settlement across the lower end of the park between Ellen and Quarry Streets.
Queen Street Q7270511 Fremantle Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort of King William IV (1830- 1837). Queen Street, and Queen's Square, continues the memory of Queen Adelaide.
Rockingham Road Q7355401 Fremantle Rockingham (ship) The Rockingham was the last of Tomas Peel’s ships to arrive in Cockburn Sound. On its arrival in 1803 the ship floundered and sunk in Careening Bay, Garden Island.
Robinson Street Fremantle Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson (1834 – 1897) Minilya Avenue Robinson Governor of Western Australia three times – 1875 to 1875, 1880 to 1883, and 1890 to 1895. Robinson Street in Hilton became Minilya Avenue in White Gum Valley.
Rochfort Way Q121098178 Fremantle Lieutenant Frank Rochfort ( - 1936) Fremantle-born Rochfort enlisted as a private in the 11th Battalion of the AIF in WWI. In August 1915, he was returned to Australia to become the recruiting officer for the Fremantle district. He was discharged from the army in February 1918 with the rank of Lieutenant.

Rochfort operated various stores around Fremantle. He became Commodore of the Fremantle Yacht Club and was a fishery inspector during the depression. His family later moved to Bunbury and in the 1930s to Palmyra. In November 1936 Frank died of a stroke.

Rous Head Fremantle Captain Henry John Rous (1795 – 1877) Named by Captain James Stirling in 1827 after Rous who explored several rivers in New South Wales in the 1820s.
Rous Head Road Fremantle Rouse Head, North Fremantle Rous Head Road is situated at the northern entrance of the mouth of the Swan River. It is shown on Stirling's 1827 plan as 'Rous Point'.
Rule Street Q120183083 Fremantle C.P. Rule Bay Road Rule was a North Fremantle Councillor. 1948- 60, and a Fremantle Town Councillor, 1961-62 and 1968-73. He served on the Fremantle Cemetery Advisory Committee and was President of Friendly Societies’ Pharmacies for twenty one years. Rule was also Secretary of the North Fremantle Bowling Club for twenty years. Changed from Bay Road in 1969.
Russell Street Q114284305 Fremantle John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792 – 1878) Russell was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom twice from 1846 to 1852 and from 1865 to 1866. He was Prime Minister when Governor Fitzgerald petitioned the UK to make the Swan River Colony a penal settlement.
Salustri Place Fremantle Nicoletta Salustri (1814 – 1892) Salustri was the first Italian settler in Western Australia. In 1860 she arrived in Fremantle with her husband James O’Byrne, who was an Enrolled Pensioner Guard, and their children.

Salustri lived out the rest of her live in Fremantle and had eight children. She was

Sheedy Street Fremantle Sheedy Family Wardie Road Winifred Sheedy resided at the street for over eighty years. Her parents were early settlers to the street. Renamed Sheedy Street in 1982.
Short Street Q71391735 Fremantle Bishop Augustus Short (1802 – 1883) Bishop Short, the first Anglican Bishop of Western Australia and South Australia, came to Fremantle in 1848. He consecrated the old St. John’s Church on the 16th of November that same year.
Shuffrey Street Q55548351 Fremantle George Shuffrey ( - 1920) Shuffrey was a prominent town citizen and lived in this street.
Silas Street Q121099684 East Fremantle William Silas Pearse (1838 – 1908) Pearse was a Fremantle-born merchant and politician. He was a Justice of the Peace, a Fremantle Town Councillor, and the founding president of the Fremantle Building Society, established in 1875. Pearse was an MLC representing Fremantle in 1872-80 and 1884-

90. He was an MLA for North Fremantle from 1890 to 1895.

Silas Street South Fremantle William Silas Pearse (1838 – 1908) McLaren Street, South Fremantle Now McLaren Street.
Silver Street Q118536769 South Fremantle Gold and Coral Streets. With Coral and Silver Streets, Gold Street was surveyed on the subdivision of a large block of land owned by the late Sir Henry Briggs, President of the Legislative Council (d. 1919). The names were apparently purely fancy as the land was called Briggs Paddock, it was pure white sand covered with rushes and contained no mineral wealth.
Simper Crescent Q121099886 White Gum Valley Simpler Family The Simper family were pioneers of Fremantle.
Simpson Estate, South Street Simpson Simpson was a landowner; his estate was subdivided in 1901. It was originally called the Duke of York Estate.
Simpson Road York Street
Sinclair Street George Sinclair Trinity Street/Lefroy Road Sinclair worked for the Harbour and Lights Department; he lived on this street. This street was first called Trinity Street, now it is Lefroy Road.
Siska Siska (yachts) Siska is the name given to all five of Roland Tasker's yachts, which dominated ocean racing in Western Australia from 1969 to 1985, winning numerous events.
Skinner Street Q116311625 Fremantle Captain Skinner Skinner was a Captain in the West Australian Military Forces.
Sleeman Close O'Connor Joseph Bertram Sleeman (1885 – 1970) Sleeman arrived in Western Australia in 1895. He became MLA for Fremantle, 1924-1959; the Chairman of Committees, 1933–1939 and Speaker of the House, 1939–1947. Sleeman was also a Life member Fremantle Trotting Club.
Smith Street Ran between James Street and Burt Street and is now a part of Tuckfield Street.
Smith Street Beaconsfield Thomas Smith Smith was a tailor and Mayor of Fremantle in 1903.
Snook Crescent Hilton John Snook ( - 1887) Snook was a Town Councillor, 1871–1875 and 1877–1883. Snook was shot by William Conroy at the opening of the Town Hall in 1887.
Sowden Drive Samson Sowden Sowden was a Town Councillor.
Solomon Street Q112220442 Beaconsfield Fremantle Elias Solomon (1839 – 1909) Mary Street Solomon was a merchant and politician. He was a Fremantle Town Councillor from 1877 to his appointment as Mayor in 1881. Solomon was an MLA for South Fremantle from 1892 to 1901 and Federal Member for Fremantle from 1901 to 1903. Originally known as Mary Street, changed 1951-52.
South Beach Promenade South Fremantle South Beach, Fremantle
South Lane Carnac Way South Lane was originally a portion of Carnac Street. Became Carnac Lane in 1908.
South Street Beaconsfield, Fremantle, Hilton, Samson, South Fremantle, White Gum Valley Southern boundary of the original town site.
South Terrace South Fremantle Mandurah Road Previously Mandurah Road, changed 1951– 1952.
Spratley [reserved road name] John Charles Spratley ( - 1915) Spratley was the first Fremantle person to die on active service with the AIF during WWI. He enlisted as a Lance Corporal with the 11th Battalion. He died in Egypt on the 29th of March 1915 after a short illness. Before the war he was working as a bicycle tyre builder and he lived at 29 Queen Victoria Street, Fremantle.
Stack Street Fremantle Oscar Stack Fothergill Street Stack was a Town Councillor, 1967–1977. He was a Member of the Fremantle Friendly Society and a Fremantle Hospital Visitor.

Portion of Fothergill Street changed to Stack Street in 1974.

Stanley Street Silver Street
Staples Street North Fremantle Ronald John Staples (1910 - ) Davis/Davies Street Staples served North Fremantle and Fremantle as a Councillor 1940–1961, and 1961–1973.

Ron was born in North Fremantle in 1910. He was educated at North Fremantle Primary School and Fremantle Boys' School and worked in clerical occupations until his retirement. Mr Staples was actively involved in community activities. First known as Davis Street in 1898, changed to Davies in 1917, and changed to Staples in 1962.

Stephen Street John Stephen Hampton (1806 – 1869) Stevens Street Hampton was Governor of Western Australia from 1862 to 1868. His son, G.E. Hampton was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. Changed to Stevens Street in 1962.
Stevens Street Fremantle, White Gum Valley Jimmy Stevens Stephens Street Stevens was a Town Councillor, 1905-1929 and 1929-1943.
Stevens Street Public Open Space Virginia Ryan Park
Stirling Highway Fremantle, North Fremantle Admiral Sir James Stirling (1791 – 1865) Victoria Avenue Stirling Highway was originally constructed in 1850 by convict chain gangs. At the time, the Perth to Fremantle road, which became Stirling Highway, was made up of felled jarrah trees cut and laid flat with limestone and gravel were put on top. In the 1880s, would be taken from Perth to a point half-way to Fremantle, where the rider would meet his Fremantle counterpart and exchange mailbags. The half- way point today is opposite Langsford Street,
Claremont, there is a red mail box there to mark the spot. Previously named Perth- Fremantle Road, Claremont Avenue, Mason Street, and Waldeck Street. The change was in 1931 and applied to the road from Winthrop Avenue (formerly Ferdinand Avenue) to Boundary Road, Mosman Park. Portion from Boundary Road to North Fremantle Bridge, previously Victoria Avenue, as Stirling Highway in 1936.
Stirling Street Q108196920 Fremantle Admiral Sir James Stirling (1791 – 1865)
Stock Road Hilton, O'Connor Samson This was originally part of a stock route from Robb Jetty to Midland Junction.
Stockdale Road O'Connor First appears in 1929.
Stokes Street White Gum Valley John Stokes Stokes was a Pensioner Guard who arrived in Western Australia in 1865. He was one of the early settlers who conducted a dairy.
Stone Street North Fremantle Quarry Street, North Fremantle
Strang Court Beaconsfield
Strang Street Beaconsfield Strang Strang was an early pioneer.
Stratford Street East Fremantle Susannah Gwyther Easton Easton, nee Stratford, was the wife of Walter Easton.
Staton Road East Fremantle C.A.B. Staton Victoria Road Staton was a member of the East Fremantle Municipal Council, 1901-1931 and 1933-1934. Formerly Victoria Road in 1902. Changed to its
present name in 1925.
Success Harbour South Fremantle Success (ship) Captain James Stirling sailed the British frigate Success as he surveyed the WA shoreline in 1827 for NSW Governor Darling. Construction was completed in 1979.
Sue Lane Fremantle Jack “Jackie” Wong Sue OAM (1925–2009) Sue was a decorated WWII veteran who served with the RAAF Air Crash Rescue Boats operating out of Fremantle before being transferred to the 'Z' special unit of the Services Reconnaissance Department (known as 'Z' Force). They operated along the Western Australian coast and worked west of Rottnest Island picking up torpedos fired by US Navy Submarines. Sue was transferred to the Z Force unit, which was a predecessor to the SAS. For his courageous service he was awarded the United States Submarine Combat Insignia and the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Sue lived in Kalamunda when he returned. He started the Jack Sue W.A. Skindivers in 1951. In 2006 he was awarded an Order of Australia Medal.
Suffolk Street Fremantle Suffolk, England
Sultan Way North Fremantle SS Sultan (ship) The Sultan was owned by the Western Australian Steam Navigation Company was the first British Steamship to enter the Inner Harbour. Lady Forrest was at the helm to open the Inner Harbour on 4/5/1897.
Sumpton Street Hilton W.J. Sumpton Sumpton was a Town Councillor, 1909-1929 and 1929-1930.
Surbiton Road East Fremantle Surbiton, England
Swan Street North Fremantle This road is in two unconnected sections - a portion is undedicated road within Port Authority land; the other portion is between Queen Victoria Street and Burns Street.
Swanbourne Street Fremantle This is the name of the family home of the Fremantle family.
Sweetman Street White Gum Valley Sweetman Sweetman was an early resident of Fremantle. Street formerly in Hilton.
Sydney Street South Fremantle Sydney, New South Wales
Tangney Crescent Samson Dame Dorothy Margaret Tangney DBE (1911 – 1985) Tangney was the first woman Senator in Australia as Senator for Western Australia between 1943 and 1968. In the ALP landslide of 1943, she was unexpectedly elected to fill a casual vacancy. In 1968 she was made a Dame Commander of the British Empire for her services to the Australian Parliament.

Originally a portion of Rushby Way.

Tapper Street White Gum Valley
Tasker Place Mosman Park Roland “Rolly” Leslie Tasker (1926 – 2012) Tasker was one of the greatest competitive yachtsmen in Australia. He operated a sail making business from the site for forty years.
Taylor Street White Gum Valley Richard Taylor ( - 1919) Heales Street Taylor was an Officer of the Council. He served as Council Health Inspector for twenty three and a half years. Changed from Heales Street 1908/1909.
Terrene Lane O'Connor Terrene – a Latin word meaning ‘on or like earth’. This relates to the former use of the site as a plantation using earth to cultivate the pine
plantation.
The Cutting North Fremantle The name relates to a railway cutting that was once on a similar alignment to this road.
The Terrace Fremantle
Thompson Road North Fremantle George Thompson (1838 – 1874) Thompson was the first Town Clerk of Fremantle, 1871-1873.
Thornett Street Hilton Richard Thornett Thornett was a Town Councillor, 1930-1933.
Tipuana Green O'Connor Tipuana tree Name derived from a type of exotic tree species identified and preserved on the site. Subdivision of Edwards College site.
Tonkin Road Hilton Tonkin Tonkin was a pioneer resident of Beaconsfield.
Trafford Street Beaconsfield
Trawl Trawl – to drag something through water, usually in terms of fishing nets. Trawl is a term used to reflect the fishing industry of Fremantle.
Trinity Street South Fremantle Sinclair Street/Lefroy Road Changed to Sinclair; now Lefroy Road.
Trusting Lane White Gum Valley The Diocesan Trustee of the Church of England was the original owner of the land.
Tuckfield Street Fremantle Sir Roger Tuckfield Goldsworthy (1839 – 1900) Goldsworthy was appointed Colonial Secretary of Western Australia in 1877 until 1880.

In 1892, the western portion of what is now Tuckfield Street, between James and Skinner Streets, was called Smith Street.

Turton Avenue Fremantle Cemetery Reverend W.F. Turton Turton was Minister, in 1898, at the Johnston Memorial Church, which was on Adelaide Street in Fremantle.
Turton Street North Fremantle Originally known as Helen Street.
Tydeman Road North Fremantle Frank William Edward Tydeman (1901 – 1995) Tydeman was the General Manager and Chief Engineer at Fremantle Port Authority.

Originally known as Pensioner Road. Changed to John Street by 1913 and from John Street to Tydeman Road in 1968.

Tyrone Street North Fremantle County Tyrone, Ireland Tyrone is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Vale Street Fremantle
Vickridge Close Beaconsfield Leonard Frederick Willot Vickridge OBE VRD AO (1918 – 2001) Vickridge was born in North Fremantle. During WWII he served in the RANR and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1944. He spent the last 3 months of the war as a commanding officer of the HMAS Junee. Before and after the war, Vickridge worked at Joyce Bros. He rose from foundry apprentice to Managing Director. In 1962 he was made an Officer of the British Empire; in 1963 he was promoted to Senior Officer Naval Reserves, the first in WA. Vickridge was awarded a Volunteer Reserve Decoration in 1992. He was also President of the Alzheimer's Association and in 1997 the Carers Association established the Vickridge Foundation. In 1998 he was made a Member of the Order of Australia.
Victor Street Hilton
Victoria Avenue Stirling Highway
Victoria Quay Fremantle Victoria, Queen Regnant of the United Kingdom and Empress of India (1837 – 1901) It was originally named South Quay but was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria by the Duchess of Cornwall and York during her visit in 1901.
Victoria Road Cantonment Road and Queen Victoria Street Edward Street to North Fremantle Bridge. Originally Cantonment Road, it changed to Victoria Road 1903/4, and again, 1914/1915 when it became Queen Victoria Street.
Victoria Road Richmond Staton Road, East Fremantle
View Terrace East Fremantle
Virginia Ryan Park Virginia Ryan ( - 1992) Named in 1992 to commemorate Ryan’s efforts as a local resident and community worker.
Walker Street South Fremantle
Wallace Way Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour Don Frank Wallace (1932 – 2001) Wallace was a career public servant with over fifty years of service. Starting as a Public Works Department drafting cadet, at the age of fifteen, he later specialised in hydrographic surveying. He rose to Section Leader, Tides and Waves, for the Department of Transport and retired in 1998. Wallace was awarded the Churchill Fellowship in 1974, the Percy G. S. Hope Award from the Institute of Surveyors
Australia in 2001, and a Public Service Medal in the Australia Day Honours List of 1999. He was survived by his wife Norma and four children, Beth, Alan, Margaret and Don junior.

Private road.

Wallwork Court Beaconsfield Wallwork Family Henry Wallwork came to Fremantle from Victoria in 1896; he was a ship's purser on arrival later worked for the railways. He married and raised a family in Fremantle. The Wallwork family lived in Hope Street, White Gum Valley.
Walter Place North Fremantle William Henry Walter Walter was Mayor of North Fremantle and Deputy Mayor of Fremantle, a WWI veteran, a foreman/plumber with the Fremantle Harbour Trust (later known as the Fremantle Port Authority). In 1962, after twenty two years of service, William and his wife were presented with the Keys to the City. Originally known as Agnes Street.
Walter Street East Fremantle Walter Easton Easton was once a prominent land owner.
Walton Way Beaconsfield Walton Walton was the founder of the Fremantle Soccer Club and was involved in the organisation for thirteen years. He was also a long time resident of the area.
Walyalup Fremantle Walyalup – the Nyoongar word for the Fremantle area. This name was first recorded by Europeans in 1833 by Robert Menli Lyon.
Ward Street Samson Ward Family The Ward family conducted a business in South Fremantle for approximately fifty years.
Wardan Lane Fremantle Wardan - a Nyoongar word meaning ‘ocean’. This meaning was confirmed by the Aboriginal Traditional Owners, Professor Len Collard,
Danny Ford, Noel Nannup and Sealin Garlett.
Wardie Road Sheedy Street Between South and Marine Terraces. Renamed Sheedy Street in 1982.
Wardie Street South Fremantle
Wardle Place Beaconsfield Wardle Wardle was an early pioneer.
Wardle Road Beaconsfield
Warren Street Beaconsfield Warren Warren was a Town Councillor for over ten years.
Waterford Street Beaconsfield Waterford, Ireland. Waterford is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Watkins Street Q113322931 Fremantle, White Gum Valley Archdeacon Daniel Glyn Watkins (1845 – 1907) Watkins was the rector of St. John's Anglican Church from 1875 to 1905. He was the Archdeacon of Perth from 1889 to 1907.

The street formed a portion of the Church Lands Estate.

Wauhop Road East Fremantle William Wauhop MBE (1887 – 1971) Wauhop was Mayor of Fremantle, 1944 to 1961 and Mayor of East Fremantle, 1961 to 1964.
Wellesley Way Samson Seberang Perai, Malaysia Province Wellesley was the former name of Seberang Perai, a sister city of Fremantle.

Originally known as Hallion Way; changed due to confusion with Hanlin Way.

Wellington Terrace Marine Terrace
Wesley Street South Fremantle Originally known as Russell Street. Changed occurred after 1903.
Wesley Way (Arcade) Fremantle Wesley Way Arcade is situated between Queen Street and Cantonment Street, Fremantle.
Westgate Mall Fremantle Westgate Mall is a shopping arcade within the Fremantle precinct. The name was approved in 1965.
Westmeath Street North Fremantle County Westmeath, Ireland Westmeath is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Wexford Way O'Connor County Wexford, Ireland Wexford is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Wexford Lane County Wexford, Ireland
Wharfing Lane Beaconsfield Wharfinger – ‘an owner or keeper of a wharf’ James Frederick Fordham was a Wharfinger, an owner or keeper of a wharf, who owned land in the area between 1880 and 1897. He was also a registrar of births, deaths, and marriages at Fremantle.
Whatley Anne Whatley (1806 - ) Whatley (nee Rutt) arrived in Fremantle with her husband, Dr. John Whatley, in 1829. She documented her experiences in a detailed diary providing a valuable historical insight into the lives of the first European settlers of Fremantle and Perth. In 1830 her husband drowned in the Swan River at Fremantle. Whatley and her children left Fremantle on the Cleopatra in 1831 bound for Hobart before returning to the Britain. Reserved road name.
White Gum Valley
White Street North Fremantle Originally known as George Street; changed to White Street in 1923.
Wicklow Close Beaconsfield County Wicklow, Ireland Wicklow is in the same country as the birthplace of C.Y. O'Connor.
Wilkinson Street Fremantle Wilkinson Wilkinson was a Town Councillor and Town Treasurer, 1916 - 1923. Originally known as Pearse Street; changed in 1922/3.
William Street Q63275933 Reuben Street
William Street Chester Street
William Street Fremantle William IV, King of the United Kingdom (1830 – 1837) On the original plan the southern termination of this street was at 'King Street'. The land across which the latter ran was later included in that set aside for the Convict Depot and now forms part of Fremantle Oval.
Willis Point Ferry Point
Wilson Park South Fremantle J.E. Wilson Wilson was a Town Councillor, 1921 – 1935.
Wiluna Avenue White Gum Valley Wiluna, Western Australia
Windsor Road East Fremantle Windsor Estate Originally known as George Street; changed circa 1902.
Winterfold Road Hilton, Samson Winterfold Estate, Hamilton Hill The Winterfold Estate was the home of the Healy family. The Estate comprised 300 acres north of Healy Road, most of today's Beaconsfield, complemented by 200 acres south of Bibra Lake and 1,000 acres in Spearwood.
Wolseley Road East Fremantle
Wood Street Q119148626 Fremantle, White Gum Valley Barrington Clarke Wood (1850 – 1903) Wood was the first Mayor of the Municipality of Fremantle, 1883-1885. Part of Wood Street known as Hollis Street. Change made 1956- 1957.
Woodhouse Road East Fremantle H. Woodhouse Originally known as York Street. Changed to avoid confusion with York Street in South Fremantle.
Woodsons Arcade Fremantle Woodsons Arcade is situated off William Street between Cantonment Street and Adelaide Street, Fremantle.
Woylie Lane Q98350924 Fremantle Woylie - a Whadjuk Nyoongar name for the Brush-tailed Bettong (Bettoniga penicillata). The traditional owners call the place around Fremantle ‘Walyalup’ which means "place of the Walyo or Woylie". The Woylie inhabited the sparse vegetation, shrubs and bushes that grew inland from the beach and was a favourite food for the Nyoongar people of Walyalup. The Woylie is a small mammal found in south west Western Australia and currently listed as a critically endangered species.
Wragg [reserved road name] Albert Wragg ( - 1917) Wragg was born in Fremantle and lived much of his life in the area. During WWI he enlisted in the 11th Battalion of the AIF and fought in Gallipoli and France. He was killed in action in 1917.
Wray Avenue Q56827415 Fremantle William Ernest Wray ( - 1928) Wray was the chairman of the Fremantle Tramways Board and was Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.

Originally known as Hampton Street until 1901- 1902. Renamed Wray Avenue in 1923.

Wright Street Q111736730 White Gum Valley Charles D. Wright Charles D. Wright was an early pioneer who arrived in 1829. This track became Wright Street. Street name first appears in 1903/1904.
Yalgoo Avenue Q119829533 White Gum Valley Yalgoo, Western Australia Originally named Pearse Street; changed to Wilkinson Street in 1922/1923. Section from Stevens Street to South Street renamed Yalgoo Avenue in 1930/1931.
Yarrick Street O'Connor Yarrick Yarrick was a pioneer resident of the area.
Yilgarn Street Q113660902 White Gum Valley Yilgarn goldfields, Western Australia
Yokosuka [reserved road name] Yokosuka, Japan Yokosuka is one of Fremantle’s sister cities.
York Street East Fremantle Woodhouse Street
York Street Q122272641 Beaconsfield Originally known as Government Road. Changed to Simpson Street, which was changed in 1901 to York Street.
Ypres [reserved road name] Battle of Passchendaele (Third Battle of Ypres), WWI Battle of Passchendaele occurred between the 31st of July and the 10th of November 1917 in Ypres, Belgium. ANZAC troops suffered many casualties. Over one hundred and fifty soldiers from Fremantle died in the battle.
Yuna Lane Q122940272 South Fremantle Yuna (tugboat) The Yuna operated out of Fremantle and was owned by the Adelaide Steamship Company. It was in service from 1952–1971. The Yuna escorted the Alkimos to Fremantle after it was grounded on a reef off Beagle Island, about on hundred kilometres south of Geraldton.
Zeta Crescent Q120136426 O'Connor Zeta (ship)

References