Notre Dame


[[../index.html|Freotopia]] > Notre Dame University

Notre Dame Buildings

The University of Notre Dame in Fremantle Western Australia has a campus map available online, and they do guided tours of the University buildings, but don't have a tour guide online.

I have a 4-page printed tour guide (an A3 sheet folded) from when I went on their tour, but it covers only the central four blocks or so. It seems to have been prepared in 2001 or just before that. I quote from it in the body of this document, and also make it available as a PDF.

This page is arranged by building numbers on the NDU campus map, not by street nor in an order in which you might tour the University. You might want to download the complete map PDF from their site. Below is part of the 11/2020 version of the map. I may not yet have changed the building occupancies in my guide below to bring them up to this date, as they change from time to time. Tap to enlarge.



ND1. Chancellery. Foley Hall, Santa Maria Lecture Theatre, Office of University Relations, Chancellery, Vice Chancellery, Helen Lombard Room, Reception and Mail Room, Office of University Relations, International Student Office, Study Abroad Office.

What is now the headquarters of Notre Dame University was built in 1887 for merchant William Sandover at 17-19 Mouat St.

Nos. 17-25, extending from Owston’s Building on the west side, are now occupied by Notre Dame University. The building at Nos. 17-19 was built in c. 1887 for William Sandover, a merchant who occupied it until 1923. Symington and Cameron, merchants, occupied it from 1948 to 1956 when it passed to Goldsborough Mort & Company.
Nos. 21-23, originally a warehouse site, is now a pleasant tree-shaded, brick-paved area. No. 25 was the site of an old picture garden and a row of six cottages. The Batemans built a warehouse in the 1880s, which was demolished in 1937, and the cottages in 1942. 2005: NDUA School of Management, Marketing and Media, School of Accounting and Finance, Foley Hall, Reception. [[../fremantlewalks/index.html|Hutchison]].

This building was built for the Sandover family in 1889. It was a warehouse with the ground floor section north of the current reception area used as a bond store. The present Registrar's Office area was designated as a pianoforte salon and was probably used to demonstrate pianos imported from Europe. Much later the building was given over to wool storage and became known as the Wool and Mohair Building.
The University bought the building in 1991 and refurbished it with the help of architects from Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown. The downstairs area is used as a main reception and administration area, and also houses Foley Hall, named after Archbishop Foley, who played an integral role in the founding of the University. Upstairs, there are a number of lecture rooms as well as the Vice Chancellor's, Registrar's and Development Offices. Displayed throughout buildings ND1 and ND3, you will notice a number of Aboriginal artworks which were commissioned from artists from the region surrounding our Broome campus. The pew seating throughout was donated by the Loreto Convent Chapel. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND2. Malloy Courtyard. Mouat Street. This was warehousing.

From the 1870s on a succession of dwellings and commercial premises were built on this site, the largest being a large wool warehouse which was demolished in 1916. When the University purchased it in 1989, it contained an old tin shed which was being used as a carpark. The present frontage was erected by the University in line with the requirements of the Fremantle City Council's West End Conservation Policy which strives to preserve the streetscape. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND3. Prindiville Hall. Computer Laboratory, Performing Arts Centre, Student Association Offices, Student Common Room, NDA Store.

[[../fremantlewalks/index.html|David Hutchison]] writes that 'No. 25 was the site of an old picture garden and a row of six cottages. The Batemans built a warehouse in the 1880s, which was demolished in 1937, and the cottages in 1942.' (116) From that, I assume the present building dates from the 1940s. Said building is Prindiville Hall.

This building was occupied by Bateman Plumbing until it was purchased by the University. The adjacent lecture rooms were occupied by Bateman Tile, with the room adjacent to Croke Street being a showroom and the one adjacent to the courtyard a storeroom. In the 1920s, the whole block was the Rose Picture Gardens with a stage and fixed seating.
It is now used as the Student Common Room, with a games area housed on the mezzanine level and the Student Executive occupying an office in the corner adjacent to the courtyard. The Student Affairs Office and Edmund Rice Centre occupy the office space fronting Mouat Street. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND4. Tannock Hall of Education (classrooms; named for the first VC, Peter Tannock [who was my lecturer in Sociology of Education at UWA in 1970]) is a 2010 building on the corner of Cliff and Croke Streets, designed by [[../architects/collinsmarcus.html|Marcus Collins]]. The [[../hotels/pier.html|Pier Hotel]] once stood here.

On the site of the present [2001] car park on the corner of Cliff and Croke Streets stood the [[../hotels/pier.html|Pier Hotel]]. The two storey Victorian building had a bullnose verandah and elaborate lace work on the upper story. It was opened in 1873 and was licensed until its demolition in 1955. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

[[img/p&o.jpg|25 High]]

ND5. P&O Hotel: student residence, classrooms, counselling office. The Victoria Hotel was previously on the site, from about 1870, on the SE corner of Mouat and High, at 25 High St. It was sold in the 1890s and either renovated or rebuilt and renamed the [[../hotels/p&o.html|P&O Hotel]], completed 1901. The verandahs of the 1901 building were restored in 2002, tho sadly it is still lacking its original clock tower. In July 2000 the University took out a 21 years lease and later that year began a significant refurbishment. Work was completed in February 2001 when the first intake of Study Abroad students arrived to take up residence.

P&O Hotel. Architects: [[../architects/cavanagh.html|Cavanagh]] and Cavanagh (1890s), [[../people/allen.html|Allen]] and Nicholas (1930s). On the south-east corner at 25 High Street, on the site of an earlier small hotel owned by the Pace Family. After the death of Mrs Pace—whose husband had died earlier—this hotel was managed by Mrs Scott and Pat Hagan and named the Victoria, although sailors who frequented it called it the ‘Cockpit’. In the 1890s it was purchased by Bernard O’Connor and Timothy Quinlan who commissioned a new building, which was completed in c. 1896. It demonstrates the architects’ liking for an exuberant style with a brick and stucco gabled facade. In the 1930s it was owned by the Bahen family, who held it for forty years. In 1938 they commissioned architects Allen and Nicholas to design internal alterations. Its verandas, removed in the 1960s, were reinstated in 2002, although, unfortunately, its clock tower, demolished in the 1930s, has not been restored. 2005: NDUA student accommodation. [[../fremantlewalks/index.html|Hutchison]].

ND5 The P&O Hotel. The P&O Hotel opened on July 1st, 1901. It will celebrate its 100th anniversary in the year that Notre Dame takes over the lease of the building. It was built by the Quinlan family, a member of which, Dr. Michael Quinlan, is the Dean of Health at the University. It originally consisted of one bar, stables at the rear and high-class accommodation upstairs. Most of the facade facing High Street was occupied by a number of shops and restaurants.
The University has restored the building to house four lecture rooms and student and staff recreational facilities downstairs, as well as accommodation upstairs for Study Abroad students. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND6. Student Recreation Hall. Events Office, First Aid Room, End-of-trip Facilities.
The Strelitz brothers built this warehouse at 26 Mouat St in 1700.

Performing Arts Centre ND6 [in 2001]. This was an old warehouse built by Fremantle merchants in 1901. It was later occupied by a sugar refining company.
It was initially the University's sports centre but now houses the Notre Dame Performing Arts Centre, where performing arts courses are run in conjunction with the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND7. Student Centre. Student Admin and Fees, Student Service, Careers Office, Notre Dame Volunteer Network, Reporting and Stats, Campus Registrar, Library Staff, Student Appeals and Academic Affairs.

Bateman's Hardware Store, at 32 Mouat St, is now NDU's Student Centre.

Former Bateman's Hardware Store. No. 32 on the east side. This was the major hardware store in Fremantle until the 1970s. It now houses Notre Dame University’s Library. The University has restored and adapted its buildings with restraint; this also has a paved courtyard. [[../fremantlewalks/index.html|Hutchison]].

What is now ND7 was Bateman's last purchase at the age of 70. The two buildings were used initially as stables and warehouse storage. The northern section was a four-room cottage and the southern section a 13-room boarding house. Lionel Samson was reported to live there at that time. The back sections of the two lots were used as stables. In 1946, the building was altered to become Bateman's Hardware and became a popular and well-known centre for the building trades. The hardware store was closed in 1985.
Next to Bateman's first property was a two-storey residence which spanned the present entrance to the Courtyard. He purchased this in 1873. It had a single storey verandah with a striped galvanised iron awning. Prior to the renovation of the Library, the outline of the roof section was clearly visible.
In Bateman's day the site of the present ND17 held a mix of shops, dwellings, warehouses and offices. James Gallop's fruit shop faced Henry Street. The present building was built in 1964. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND8. Holy Spirit Chapel. On the corner of Mouat and Croke Streets. The entrance is on the northern side, off ND15, the Bateman Courtyard. ND 9 Student Services including the Campus Ministry adjoin this building immediately to the north. Manjaree.

This is another of the buildings owned at one time by John Wesley Bateman. The building where the chapel now stands was his first purchase at the age of 30 and he gradually acquired other buildings in the area over the next 40 years. This building was Bateman's first home, a two storey residence with a cellar and two storey verandah. John Wesley moved in to live and to work in 1854. The north wall section of the Chapel with the two Stations of the Cross is all that remains of the original house.
In 1859, Bateman bought his second property which included part of the Chapel in Croke Street and continued on halfway down the street. He used the property to establish new offices facing Croke Street.
The current Chapel building was built some time after 1916. When the University purchased it, the building was derelict and had been used as Bateman Marine Supplies.


The Chapel from the northern side, off ND15 the Bateman Courtyard.

The Chapel is the liturgical centre of the University and mass is held there every day for staff and students. Easter, Christmas, and other special services are held there throughout the year. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND9 Campus Ministry and ND10 Student Services. Manjaree. The Campus Ministry and the Student Services office, including Careers, Counselling, and the Volunteer Network, are between the Chapel and the School of Law, off the Bateman Courtyard.

ND10 is shown on the 2018 map, between ND9 and ND11, but not described. It is not shown on the 2019 map. Nor in 2020.


ND11. School of Law. Academic offices, lecture rooms, Minter Ellison Computer Laboratory, Dean's office.

Tho the street frontage, this is the rear of the School of Law building, in Croke St. The entrance is from the north, off N15 Bateman Courtyard.

School of Law, School of History & Politics, School of Aboriginal Studies
These were also owned by Bateman and used for processing and packaging food and beverages. The are rumoured to be haunted by a 'Mandarin-speaking Chinese ghost.' (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

[[img/portlodge.jpg|File:Freotopia notredame img portlodge.jpg]]

ND12 Port Lodge. student residence, Hesburgh Room.
Port Lodge, 28 Marine Terrace, is now a student residence. This was once [[../people/smith.html|Rosa Henriques Smith]]'s [[../buildings/sailorsrest.html|Sailors Rest]]. The building complex is much larger than this facade suggests.
A former Bookshop adjoins to the east, on the corner of Henry Street and [[../westend/marine.html|Marine Terrace]]: it appears to be an add-on to the Sailors Rest building. In 2020 it's yet another cafe or tavern or whatever; on the map it's coloured blue, suggesting that the University owns it, but it has no university number nor function.

The note in the 2001 NDU printed tour guide, which follows, is quite lengthy:

The facade of Port Lodge facing Marine Terrace was opened by Lord Forrest in 1899 and was built as a seaman's retreat. It had a fine two story verandah with lacework panels.
Initially, it comprised a concert hall seating 150, individual apartments and a dining room with adjacent sitting rooms. The back section was added in the 1940s. It became a boarding house in 1976 and was renamed Port Lodge. When the University purchased the building it had been used as backpackers budget accommodation and a refuge for homeless men and was in terrible disrepair. Much of the early refurbishment work was completed with the assistance of University staff and friends.
This building is currently used as a residence for the Notre Dame US students who are part of an annual student exchange program. It includes 34 bedrooms as well as food preparation and social facilities for students and staff.
In 1999, Port Lodge celebrated its 100th anniversary. Some information from the celebrations follows:

On the ninth of October eighteen hundred and ninety-nine, John Forrest, the Premier of Western Australia, laid the foundation stone of a structure that was to provide a place of rest to sailors as they arrived into the port at Fremantle. By 1911, it was clear that Sailor's Rest had given much needed hospitality to many mariners. In 1913, this building became a refuge for ill, injured and shipwrecked men to recover before continuing with their respective journeys. The Women's Christian Temperance Union ran the establishment until the depression when they relinquished their control to the British Sailor's society.
Over the years, Port Lodge has been rumoured to house many different types of people and businesses. Commencing in 1992, a new group similar to the youthful and adventurous seafarers took up residence in Port Lodge. The American students studying at the University of Notre Dame Australia have continued the tradition of friendship and hospitality as they have made Port Lodge their home.


ND13. Law Library.

Also the street frontage but the rear of the Law Library, in Croke St.

The front entrance is from the north, off N15 Bateman Courtyard.

Provenance unknown to me but likely to be another Bateman building.


ND14. School of Law Offices. On the corner of Henry and Croke Streets, part of the extensive [[../people/bateman.html|Bateman]] buildings. ND34, part of the School of Medicine, is at the other, northern end of the same building.

College of Theology ND14. This was purchased by Bateman in 1875. This property had very mixed usage. In 1880, there was a blacksmith's forge on the corner of Croke and Henry Streets with various sheds and yards elsewhere. In 1883, sandalwood was stored for shipment overseas. This storage would have created an interesting sight with stacks up to fen metres high. It is presumed that the building still standing was built in 1886 as a major warehouse for Bateman. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

N15 Bateman Courtyard gives access to ND10 Campus Ministry and ND16 General Classroom Building.

College of Health ND16 [I think these notes from some years ago refer to what is now called ND39, and contains academic offices of the School of Medicine].
Bateman purchased this building in 1876. When he purchased it, it was a large two-storey house with an elegant two-storey verandah. In 1880 Bateman moved in with his family (wife Rachel White and 16 children!). In 1902, a new office and warehouse were built on this site and this is presumed to be the current building.
It is interesting to note the cat hole in the wooden sliding door in the computing room. Biological pest control seemed to work welll There was another one in the Theology building before the glass door was installed.
The custard machine is intriguing. The wooden pulleys are of interest to those with an engineering bent while most others are taken by the continuing smell of vanilla. When the University purchased this building, there were a range of other machines in this section used in the packaging of groceries. The custard machine is a very suitable piece of sculpture recording a bygone and perhaps more relaxed era. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

ND 16 General Classroom Building. Modern building.


ND17. St Teresa's Library.

Modern building at 35 Henry Street.

Unknown atm what was there before.


ND18. School of Medicine Offices. School of Medicine offices to the right with St John of God Hall (general classrooms) adjoining at 21 (21-27?) Henry St, next building to the south after the [[../hotels/orient.html|Orient Hotel]].

Development Office ND18. From the earliest days of the colony, this site has been occupied by a variety of dwellings and commercial buildings. The early rate books show that the buildings were occupied by blacksmiths, tinsmiths, merchants, labourers and gentlemen. Part of the block remained vacant for many years but was probably used as an allotment. The present building was constructed in 1895 and was used as a wool store until 1983. It remained empty for some years until it was purchased by the University. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND19. 16 High Street.

This attractive Victorian building was built in 1897 for the National Bank of Australasia. Three years later, accommodation was added for the Manager. The National Bank then leased the building to a variety of shipping agents, architects and to the Commercial Bank of Australia. This pattern of leasing and reoccupation by the bank continued until the premises were sold in 1952. In the latter part of 1937, The Four Square Gospel Mission moved in and ran the establishment as its Temple for the next two years. The building was used by a shipping agency and import merchants until 1972. It was purchased by Leeuwin Estate and turned into a residence until the Catholic Education Office purchased it in the 1980s. It has been leased by the University since 1997 and used as the College of Theology, The College of Education and now as the International Centre. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

In 2021 it is being used by the Museum of Perth for work on the Streets of Freo project.

ND20 is shown but not identified on the 2018 NDU map: it is a staff carpark.


ND21. St John of God Hall.

St John of God Hall, a general classroom block, centre, with School of Medicine offices adjoining to the right, at 21 Henry Street.

There was previously a warehouse on the site.


ND22. Court House. Justice Owen Moot Court, Drill Hall Courtyard.

This 1884 building was the Colony's third [[../courthouses/index.html|courthouse]]. The first two, 1835, and 1851, were both on [[../arthurhead/index.html|Arthur Head]]. The fourth is in Henderson St and the and fifth is nearby in Holdsworth St. Notre Dame is so lucky to have the use of this one.

Former Court House. Architects: Public Works Department. Builder: [[../people/harwoodjj.html|J.J. Harwood]] and Sons. At the south-West corner with Marine Terrace. This cruciform building was completed in 1884. It has massive walls, up to 60 centimetres thick, and has cells in the basement. The large portico, of three arches with a large pediment, is reminiscent of the Palladian style, perhaps intended to convey the dignity of the law. This building was used by the Uniting Church for some years. 2005: NDUA Courthouse. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].

Notre Dame is the only university in Australia that has its own courthouse. It was the third courthouse erected in Fremantle at a cost of 930 pounds. Work began in May 1883 and was officially opened by the Governor of Western Australia in July 1884. Currently it is used for lectures and seminars, private functions such as lunches, dinners and weddings and by the College of Law for mock trials. This enables the Law students to get a feel for real courtroom action. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND23. Prospective Students. Admissions Office, Office of Marketing and Communications.

This is the eastern end of [[../westend/high.html#9high|Owston's Buildings]], 9-23 High St, which occupy most of the block between Mouat St (where 23 is on that corner) and Cliff St (where ND33 is now, in the former [[../banks/nsw7.html|Bank of NSW]]). Next to the Prospective Students office is ND45, the Campus Services Office (so this image will therefore appear again below). [[../people/owston.html|Owston]] was a shipowner.

Owston's Building. Architect: F W Burwell. Builder: R [[../people/rennie.html|Rennie]]. On the south-west corner at Nos. 9-23 High Street. It was built in 1903 for Captain Owston, a pioneer shipowner—he founded the shipping firm of Pearse and Owston. Owston died the same year, after commissioning the building. The former Sandover buildings were demolished to make way for it. The property was inherited by his grandson William Mason Owston. The ground floor facade is not original. One of the early occupants was Watsons Ltd, a smallgoods business, which was so successful that it opened several other stores in Fremantle and Perth under the name Watsonia. The building housed the Waterside Workers Federation, which purchased it in 1955. The federation subsequently moved to a new building in North Fremantle. In 2005 part of the building housed Notre Dame University's College of Business; at the other end of the building is the Roma Restaurant, established by Frank Abrugiato and his family in c. 1940 and still operated by the family. [[../fremantlewalks/index.html|Hutchison]].

College of Business ND23. School of Accounting & Finance School of Management & Marketing School of Environmental Management. In 1902, an old building on the corner of High and Mouat Streets was demolished to make way for what became the Owston Buildings, so named after Captain William Owston, the owner. The new building was opened in 1903 and consisted of eight shops. In 1904, William Watson commenced business in Fremantle and established Watsons Supply Stores which later became the familiar Watsonia foods. Watsons remained there until 1952, when the building was bought by the Waterside Workers Federation. The University purchased the building in 1997 and twelve months later proceeded to refurbish it for the College to its present condition. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)


ND24. Philosophy and Theology.

In Croke Street, on the right, this brick building adjoins ND25, the former drill hall. See the entry for ND25, the drill hall, which follows, for information about the building's history.


ND25. The Drill Hall. A former army drill hall between Croke St and Marine Tce is now an NDU function centre: the ceremonial, lecture and conference hall.

Former Drill Hall. Between Croke Street and Marine Terrace. A former Army Drill Hall now used by Notre Dame University as a lecture hall and function centre. 2005: NDUA (in Croke Street wing) School of Behavioural Sciences, School of Arts and Letters, and College of Arts. [[../fremantlewalks/index.html|Hutchison]].

In 1924 work commenced on the Naval Drill Hall and offices now occupied by the College of Education. The building was opened as a Naval Reserve cadet training centre in 1926 at a cost of 7000 pounds. The Hall was first named Cerebus V until 1941 when it was renamed HMAS Leeuwin. Many naval recruits and cadets received their training and instruction in seamanship, gunnery and navigation at the drill hall before departing to fight in World War II. In 1964 the Commonwealth Maritime Safety Authority took over the building, made substantial alterations to the exterior and used it as a workshop and offices. It was purchased by the University in March 1999 and renovated to its present condition over the past six months. It is fully equipped with state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment and has provision for full stage lighting. It will be used as the University's ceremonial hall and as a much-needed large lecture theatre. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

The next building to the south, on Marine Tce, is ND22, the Court House.
ND26 and ND27 are staff parking areas.


ND28. Physiotherapy. [[../banks/wabank22.html|Western Australian Bank]], 1891, 22 High St, aka Bank of NSW, Westpac Building, Challenge Bank. The former bank building on the NE corner of Mouat and High Streets is 18 in the former and 22 in the latter. Constructed for the Bank of Western Australia in 1891, it was later a branch of the Bank of NSW (now Westpac). The pediment has AD 1891 in stucco. The red-brown and caramel building to the east in High St is ND30 [[../hotels/cleopatra.html|Cleopatra Hotel]].

ND28 School of Electronic Commerce. The Western Australian Bank first opened on this site in 1841. It was demolished to make way for the current building, which was opened in 1898. Designed by Sir Talbot Hobbs, it has housed the Bank of New South Wales, later the Challenge/Westpac bank until December 2000, when it was purchased by the University. It currently houses the School of Electronic Commerce. (2001 NDU printed tour guide)

ND29 (unnumbered on the above map) appears to be another parking area - behind the P&O Hotel.

[[img/24high.jpg|File:Freotopia notredame img 24high.jpg]]

ND30. Cleopatra Hotel. Student residence.

[[../westend/high.html#24high|Cleopatra Hotel]], 24 High St, 1907, with me standing outside in the Google Street View photo. According to the NDU map, this is student residence, but the Edmund Rice Centre for Social Justice is on the ground floor, with Tuart Place ("a resource service for people who experience out-of-home care during childhood.")

Cleopatra Hotel. Architect: J H Eales. Builder: H C H Carter. Next to the Adelec Building at 24 High Street. This site was originally occupied by the Crown and Thistle Hotel (1868). Pearse and Owston bought the building in 1881 and leased it to Captain E H Fothergill, an English shipowner who previously carried lead ore from the mine near Geraldton to the smelter in Adelaide in his sailing vessel the Cleopatra. He decided to settle in Fremantle. At that time, he bought the hotel and renamed it after his ship. Fothergill was mayor in 1909-10. The hotel was demolished in 1906 and the existing one built the following year. It has a highly decorative facade. On the first and ground floors, banded piers and stucco arches form loggias. The hotel had a number of owners during the twentieth century and underwent some changes. 2005: Edmund Rice Centre, and NDUA. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND31 School of Nursing & Midwifery. The [[../banks/commercial.html|Commercial Bank]] building, at 20 High St, on the NW corner of High and Mouat Sts, was later a branch of the National Bank of Australia, and the building, which was renovated in 1960, dates from 1902.
This was formerly the Physiotherapy Laboratory - which is now in ND38. In 2019 this is the School of Nursing & Midwifery and Midwifery Laboratory with academic offices on the first floor.

Former Commercial Bank Building. On the north-west corner, at 20 High Street. The Habgood family had a five-roomed cottage here in the nineteenth century. After Robert Habgood’s death in 1882, his wife sold the vacant portion of the property to the National Bank of Australia in 1884. The bank appears not to have been built until 1902. In 1960 the architects Hobbs Winning and Leighton designed renovations. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND32. Arts & Sciences. Science laboratories, academic offices.

[[../banks/union4.html|Union Bank of Australia]], 1889, 4 High St, cnr Cliff St.

The Church of England bought the building in 1930 for the Flying Angel Mission to Seamen. The small building to the left was the Seamen's Chapel 1937-1960.


The [[../buildings/seamenschapel.html|Seamen's Chapel]] 1937, (also ND32) dominated by the Samson bond store on the left and the (former) [[../banks/union4.html|Union Bank]] on the right. Both Chapel and Bank are now part of NDU, and used as by the School of Arts & Sciences and as Science Laboratories and Academic Offices.


ND33. IT. The [[../banks/nsw7.html|Bank of NSW]] building, at 7 High St, cnr Cliff St, was built for Owston in 1899. Wikipedia page. In 2019 it is a communications laboratory and academic offices, and is the property of former mayor Peter Tagliaferri. In 2021 it is also the premises of the Architecture Studio.

Former Bank of New South Wales Building. Architect: Wilkinson and Smith. On the south-east corner at No. 7 High Street. This was constructed for Captain W M Owston in 1899, and he operated a branch of the bank there until 1916-17. It has a superb carved jarrah ceiling, typical of the sober opulence of older banks. On the top of the facade are scallop shell mouldings, a decoration found on other buildings in the West End. Now NDUA Comms Lab and academic offices. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND34. Part of the School of Medicine.

The other end of the former Bateman building at the southern end of which is ND14, part of the School of Law.

This northern end is part of the School of Medicine, most of which is over the road, at ND35.


ND35. School of Medicine. The imposing D & J Fowler Building, 1700, extending through to Pakenham St, was occupied in the 1980s and 1990s by the Fremantle Furniture Factory. In 2019 it houses the School of Medicine, Anatomy Laboratory, classrooms & lecture theatre, clinical training laboratories, resource room, academic offices, Michael Quinlan Room, and the Roy & Amy Galvin Medical Library.

D & J Fowler Building. Architect: F W [[../architects/burwell.html|Burwell]]. No. 38 Henry Street. This is the most imposing building in this section of the street. D & J Fowler was one of the chief wholesale merchandise firms in the state when this site—which extends through to Pakenham Street—was redeveloped in 1900. The main frontage is in Henry Street; with a bold, massive stuccoed facade which features rusticated pillars with foliated capitals and panelled and moulded bases supporting the main entablature which incorporates moulded architraves, a frieze and cornice. The balustrade with piers and pedestals still bears the name of the firm. The large gateway—5.5 metres wide—was designed to admit two loaded wagons. During the 1980s and 1990s it was occupied by the Fremantle Furniture Factory. 2005: NDUA School of Medicine. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND36. School of Education. The original hotel on the site at 2-8 Mouat St was called His Lordship's Larder. The current building, from 1890, now the NDU School of Education, is [[../hotels/hismajestys.html|His Majesty's Hotel]], but it was briefly called by its former name after its Americas Cup renovation.

His Majesty's Hotel. Architect: T [[../architects/anthoness.html|Anthoness]]. Builder: Mr Taylor. On the corner, Nos. 2-8. This was built in 1890 on the site of an earlier pub, His Lordship’s Larder, a single-storeyed, yellow-painted building. The new hotel—more genteel in style—was obviously built to take advantage of the increased passenger liner trade. It was restored substantially in 1999. 2005: NDUA School of Religious Education, School of Teaching and College of Education. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND37. School of Nursing. The P&O Building, 17-19 Phillimore St, dating from 1903, was built for the AUSNC (the Aust Union Steamship Navigation Co), the initials of which can be seen in the pediment. It is now part of the School of Nursing, as is also the neighbouring building to the east.

P&O Building. Architect: C L Oldham. Builder: S B Alexander. Nos. 17-19. Built in 1903 for the Australian Union Steamship Navigation Company. A monogram of its initials (AUSNC) can be seen in the pediment at the top. The company established a regular service between Western Australia and the other states in 1893 and opened an agency in Fremantle in 1897. It flourished, having a monopoly of trade routes between the east and West coasts. However, the establishment of the State Shipping Service by the state government, and the influence of the new federal government’s regulatory shipping body, caused its business to decline. The company was taken over by the Peninsular and Orient Shipping Company (P&O) in 1914. Like others in the precinct, this building reflects the confidence created by burgeoning port trade. Its style, with deep arcaded verandas, is similar to several other buildings in the West End, including the Cleopatra and Orient Hotels. The Customs Department was housed in this building from 1903 to 1907. 2005: P&O, Danish Consul, and NDUA College of Nursing. [[../fremantlewalks/w4.html|Hutchison]].


ND38. Physiotherapy Laboratory and classrooms.

This is 29 Henry St, part of which was recently offered for sale for c. $2mill.

The agent's photos showed the interior to be residential.

This was formerly part of the School of Medicine.


ND39. School of Medicine.

Another part of the School of Medicine, at 45 Henry St, adjoining ND38 at 47 Henry St, and also over the road from ND35 which is the major part of this School.


ND40. School of Health Sciences. The [[../buildings/cadd.html|Frank Cadd Building]], 1890, at 33 Phillimore St, is now part of the School of Health Sciences, together with a new building to the east on what was a carpark. The building to the west in the photo is ND36 [[../hotels/hismajestys.html|His Majesty's Hotel]], the School of Education. ND41 is a carpark.


ND42. Fairweathers. [[../hotels/fremantlehotel.html|Hotel Fremantle]], 6 High St, 1899, lacking its corner turret and flagpole (like the [[../hotels/p&o.html|P&O Hotel]]). This is now not only the Chancellery but also contains offices of the Schools of Arts & Sciences, Business, and Nursing. The bar on the ground floor is unchanged, and I believe serves the Staff Club. Lucky them! In 2019, here are the School of Arts & Sciences (first floor), School of Business (second floor), Accounting & Finance, Management & Marketing, and on the ground floor: the Michael Keating Room, Fairweathers Bar, the John Paul II Room, with the Carolyn Tannock Courtyard outside.


ND43. School of Nursing. Building of [[../westend/mouat.html#howardsmith|Howard Smith]] and Sons, from 1700.

At 1-3 Mouat St, now the School of Nursing and Midwifery.


ND44. Academic Enabling and Support Centre.

[[../people/hagan.html|Patrick Hagan]], the licensee of the Victoria Hotel (see [[../hotels/p&o.html|P&O)]] had a house here, at 28 Mouat St.

The Strelitz brothers built the warehouse on the site in 1880. Eric Carr converted it into his workshop and residence in 1976.


ND45. International Student Office, etc. It is the eastern end of [[../westend/high.html#9high|Owston's Buildings]], 9-23 High St, which occupy most of the block between Mouat St (where ND23, Prospective Students Office, is on that corner) and Cliff St (where ND33 is now, in the former [[../banks/nsw7.html|Bank of NSW]]). Campus Services Office was located in ND45 before being moved to ND48. [[../people/owston.html|Owston]] was a shipowner.


ND46. Health Sciences Research.

The new building of NDU's School of Health Sciences at (35?) Phillimore St on the corner with Henry St, designed by [[../architects/collinsmarcus.html|Marcus Collins]].

ND47 is a carpark, the one behind the [[../buildings/liebler.html|Liebler/Reckitt & Colman facade]] at 21-29 Cliff St, next to 1 High St.


ND48, the building at 7 Pakenham St was built in 1907 by the Strelitz brothers for the [[../buildings/vacuum.html|Vacuum Oil Company]]. Patterson sold it to Elder Smith in 1950; then Seppelts took it over in 1968. After the Cwlth Govt moved out, Notre Dame moved in, and it's now where their Campus Services and IT are housed, the former having moved from the [[../buildings/ajax.html|Ajax Building]], and the latter from the [[../banks/nsw7.html|Bank of NSW]].


ND49, 50. After the Cwlth Govt moved out, Notre Dame bought these buildings and is redesigning them. They are parts of the building complex on Pakenham, Phillimore, and Henry Streets. The photo shows only the Falk Building. See also the Robert Harper/Jebsens building on the corner of Pakenham/Phillimore.

This is the way Notre Dame used to present the map on their website up to 2018:


References and Links

Lewi, Hannah & Andrew Murray 2018, '"Town and gown concordat": Notre Dame and the remaking of the City of Fremantle', Remaking Cities Conference Proceedings.

Bizzaca, Kristy 2016. '"Preservation and change?" The contested space of Fremantle’s heritage'. Studies in Western Australian History, 31: 173-185.

Centre for Urban Research, School of Architecture UWA 1989, Social and Physical Impact Investigation of UNDS in Fremantle, 23 pp.

Cox, S. L., 2012, '"Whose City/Whose Fremantle?" Reconceptualising Space for an Open Politics of Place, PhD dissertation, Curtin University.

Jones, R., 2007, 'Port, sport and heritage: Fremantle’s unholy trinity?', in R. Jones & B. Shaw, eds. Geographies of Australian Heritages: Loving a Sunburnt Country? Ashgate: 169-185.

Macbeth, Jim, J. Selwood, & Sarah Veitch, 2012, 'Paradigm shift or a drop in the ocean: the America’s Cup impact on Fremantle', Tourism Geographies, 14, 1: 162-182.

McGann, S., From billiards to Vice-Chancellery: Fremantle’s West End. Rehab 2015: Preservation, Maintenance and Rehabilitation
of Historic Buildings and Structures, 22-24 July 2015, Green Lines Institute, Portugal.

McGann, S., Touch The Building Lightly: The heritage work of Marcus Collins. HERITAGE 2016: 5th International Conference on
Heritage and Sustainable Development, 12-15 July 2016, Green Lines Institute, Portugal.

Tannock, Peter 2014, The Founding and Establishment of the Uiversity of Notre Dame Australia, monograph, Notre Dame Australia University.

Download (as a pdf) a 2001 tour of some Notre Dame buildings. The university was going to let me have a current version when it became available in about May 2019.

Notre Dame Australia

Notes about the university in Fremantle, the newsletter of the Fremantle Society: [[../society/newsletter/1989Feb.html#ndu|February 1989]], [[../society/newsletter/1989Apr.html#ndu|April 1989]], [[../society/newsletter/1989Jul.html#ndu|July 1989]], [[../society/newsletter/1989Sept.html#ndu|September 1989]], [[../society/newsletter/1990Feb.html#ndu|February 1990]].


This page incorporates material from Garry Gillard's Freotopia website, that he started in 2014 and the contents of which he donated to Wikimedia Australia in 2024. The content was originally created on 6 October, 2014 and hosted at (it was last updated on 26 July, 2023). The donated data is also preserved in the Internet Archive's collection.